So I finally migrated another part of my life onto Google's servers, and I noticed several great things (as well as
bad minor issues) with Blogger's Custom Domain.
Here are the great things about it:
- Retain all of Blogger's new features without messing with FTP on your domain
- Google hosts your blog for free! All you have to pay for is your domain
- You do not lose your Blog*Spot placement, preventing spammers from capitalizing on your efforts
- Google automatically forwards your Blog*Spot domain to your new one, so users visiting old posts go directly to the post on your domain
Here are some of the
- Site not listed on the world wide web (compare InsideOrkut.com with www.InsideOrkut.com)
- Another user could claim your domain via Blogger, preventing you from using it (see my theory for details on my second thread response)
- Your Google Page rank drops (which means you'll have to resubmit it everywhere again)
Now, in my opinion the good definitely out weighs the bad, and I would seriously recommend any serious blogger to consider switching over as it does have a way of making your site feel a little more professional.
Note: Is it me, or did Blogger just become cooler than WordPress?
Update: Inserted bullet points on "minor issues."