Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Never Touch A Black Geek's Radio!

I just received this email from Tim Westergren, a founder of Pandora.

What is Pandora you say? It's basically a Google version of internet radio, where the station gradually finds out what type of music you love, and then adjusts all of the songs to fit your style.

Anyways, here is the email I received:

(Pandora) I'm writing today to urgently ask for your help. Our future and that of all webcasters is being threatened by the actions of the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America). In an effort to cripple Internet radio they have defied Congressional direction to negotiate reasonable performance fees and are trying to shut us down.

In spite of overwhelming opposition, including from thousands of musicians, they have blatantly pursued a strategy of undermining the process, making outrageous demands, and trying to run out the clock, hoping we will just quietly fade away. There is only one way to stop this violation of the public trust, and that is by mobilizing the collective will of our listening audience. [...]

When you call, please tell them your home town, and ask them to support the Brownback Internet Radio Equality amendment that will be considered in the Judiciary Committee this Thursday.

This amendment sets webcasting royalties at the same level as those paid by satellite radio, which would compensate musicians fairly and allow web radio to survive. For more info on the bill, please visit: www.savenetradio.org


Even though I listen to most of my music through my iPhone, this bill could potentially affect another site that I use called FlyTunes which I use on my phone.

If the RIAA succeeds in demolishing these web radio stations, I could be forced with the reality of not having music on my iPhone as well as my PC to listen to, which would not make this geek very happy.

So, if your Senator is on the Judiciary Committee (I'm talking to you Americans here) feel free to call them up and tell them to support Brownback's bill, or face the wrath this November.

(Image Credit: RKNA)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question, opinion or just stopping by to say hi?

In either case, feel free to comment below.

You do not need to have a blogger account to post below, although you do have to solve the "I am human" puzzle.